Saturday, October 17, 2009

Conversations with Sole

Soledad, the small Peruvian woman who cleans our apartment two times a week, woke me up this morning.

¨Ohhhh soledad, te amo soledad, te amo soledad, te encanta soledad.¨ She cooed at our weiner dog.

Tomorrow is Mother´s day in Argentina, and I´ve been wondering all this week what to do for Norah and Marcela.

¨What are you going to do for mother´s day tomorrow Sole?¨She has three boys, but I forgot that all of them are still in Peru.

¨Well Lissie,¨She sighed heavily. ¨That´s the sadness and loneliness of living in another country when everyone you love is somewhere else. You can´t celebrate. I will just work, eat and sleep like all the other days.¨

2 comments:

  1. You told me this story this morning and it made me sad, but now reading it again, it still makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Joder! ¡Que pena tiene! Que lástima que ella está en Argentina sin familia. ¿Que puedes decir cuando una persona dice esto? nada. Lo siento mucho para ella.

    ReplyDelete