Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Argentine Folklore

Today in class, (too many of my entries start this way) in an attempt to get our grammar teacher off of the topic of "Las construciones impersonales" my friend Georgia asked the difference between Raton y Rata. Turns out, a raton is a mouse and a rata is a rat.

"Haven't you heard about Raton Perez?" Our teacher asked us. Well all shook our heads.

"Well, I think you have something similar in the United States, but when a child loses a tooth, Raton Perez sneaks under their pillow at night and leaves money."

Please, dear reader, just think about this concept. While in the States we tell children that a sweet, innocent fairy comes and benevolently drops money while you dream, Argentines tell their ninos that a mouse sneaks up into their bed, slithers under the covers, and then drops some money.

I can just picture my 8 year old self, wrapped up in my covers, only my eyes peeping out, unable to sleep because I'm horrified that a magic mouse is going to creep into my bed and touch me with it's tail or poop on my pillow.

God I love this country.

1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha! Oh, the Argentines. It would indeed suck to have a mouse, whose only intention is to bring you money, drop one on your pillow. Knowing you, your 8-year-old Argentine self would probably get pink eye for 3 weeks. . .

    ReplyDelete